Sunday, July 20, 2008

While you were sleeping...


(click to enlarge image)

I took some great lightning photos during the storm. It was challenging because I couldn't use my metal tripod to be safe, so I used the top of a chair and the top of a trash can. Keeping dry (at least the camera) was another challenge (shooting while holding an umbrella, at 3am). For those interested in shooting lightning or as to how I did this, I photographed usually all manual settings. First I used ISO 5o (yes 50!) so that the city lights didn't interfere so much with my exposure. Then I shot at F10 for aperature and my shutter was set at 30 seconds. I would wait for lighting, then cover my lens to not let any more light in after the lighting. It was fun out there tonight, though I think I will need a nap tomorrow!

So happy storms to you all!

(click to enlarge image)

1 comment:

Comments & questions right here.